News Update :

Sluiter on top at IFQ Africa

Friday, January 20, 2012

Dutchman Tim Sluiter acquaint a superb 66 to advance the aboriginal annular of The Open Championship’s International Final Qualifying (IFQ) Africa at Royal Johannesburg and Kensington today.

The 22-year-old (pictured, right) bankrupt the aboriginal day at six-under-par and took a one-stroke advance advanced of the final annular as 51 players began the 36-hole action for three coveted places at the 141st Open Championship at Royal Lytham & St Annes.

Sluiter said: “I played absolutely and gave myself a lot of chances. If I accumulate the aforementioned access tomorrow again I will be arena in The Open, which is absolutely something.”

He started able-bodied and penciled in birdies at the aboriginal and second, kick-starting his attack to comedy in golf’s oldest Major. After a run of four pars he birdied the seventh and accomplished the about-face at three-under. He fabricated a added brace of birdies at the 13th and 14th afore closing out with a final baboon at the par-5 18th.

“I didn’t comedy advancing golf because of the wind, which armament you to break out of agitation about this course. Part of the ambush is to accord yourself chances, and I did that today. My putting was on anatomy and I chipped in at the seventh, so it was a solid annular of golf,” he said.

“I feel adequate on this advance and my bold is good. Hopefully tomorrow will be addition acceptable annular and it will end sweetly,” said Sluiter.

Spaniard Jordi Garcia alone a attempt at the 15th, but brindled his annular with six birdies to defended sole control of additional with a five-under-par 67.

“I played absolutely able-bodied today and my putting was good, which helped me get pleasure the day. Although it wasn’t my focus at the alpha of the season, to comedy in The Open is article appropriate to me,” he said.

The 26-year-old fabricated two birdies afore the about-face afore acrimonious up added shots at the 10th, 12th, 14th and 17th.

Speaking advanced of today’s play, Garcia, who is yet to comedy in The Open, was aflame about the adventitious to chase in the footsteps of antecedent IFQ Africa qualifiers such as 2010 Open Champion Louis Oosthuizen. “It will be a dream to comedy in the The Open. It’s such a big clash that I don’t absolutely accept words to call what it will mean,” he said.

Finishing at four-under was Brazil’s top-ranked player, Adilson da Silva (pictured, right), who attempt a solid 68 about the airy par 72 East course. “I had a acceptable alpha and it was a acceptable day, but the wind was bouncing today, which fabricated it catchy to acquisition the appropriate club.

“Tomorrow I will aim for a acceptable account and stick with it. I accept been advantageous abundant to comedy The Open alert before, and what an acquaintance it is! Any time you can accomplish it (to The Open) is absolutely great.”

Canadian Andrew Parr connected his acceptable anatomy from the weekend’s Joburg Open, additionally played at Royal Johannesburg, to shoot 69 the accomplishment the aboriginal annular in fourth place. “I appetite to be out there and I’m accepting a abundant time. I’m activity assured on this advance and tomorrow I’m activity to echo my achievement and hopefully accomplish The Open,” he said.

However, it was not such a acceptable day for some of the bigger names in the acreage such as South Africans James Kingston, who retired due to injury, and apple cardinal 80 Jaco Van Zyl, who attempt a black 78.

Share this Article on :

0 comments:

 
© Copyright Yahessa 2010 -2015 | Design by Yahessa | Powered by Blogger | Search Powered by Google.